- Brackish- slightly salt
- Carbohydrates- any of a class of organic compounds that are polyhydroxy aldehydes or polyhydroxy ketones, or change to such substances on simple chemical transformations, as hydrolysis, oxidation, or reduction, and that form the supporting tissues of plants and are important food for animals and people.
- Carbon Neutral- pertaining to or having achieved a state in which the net amount of carbon dioxide or other carbon compounds emitted into the atmosphere is reduced to zero because it is balanced by actions to reduce or offset these emissions
- Carbon Sink- areas of vegetation, especially forests, and the phytoplankton-rich seas that absorb the carbon dioxideproduced by the burning of fossil fuels
- Eutrophication- the process by which a body of water becomes enriched in dissolved nutrients (as phosphates) that stimulate the growth of aquatic plant life usually resulting in the depletion of dissolved oxygen
- GHG- Green House Gases
- Lipids- any of various substances that are soluble in nonpolar organic solvents (as chloroform and ether), that are usually insoluble in water, that with proteins and carbohydrates constitute the principal structural components of living cells, and that include fats, waxes, phosphatides, cerebrosides, and related and derived compounds
- Medium- a nutrient system for the artificial cultivation of cells or organisms and especially bacteria
- Metabolite- a substance produced during or taking part in metabolism
- Non-Arable- Land which is unsuitable for arable farming usually has at least one of the following deficiencies: no source of fresh water; too hot (desert); too cold (Arctic); too rocky; too mountainous; too salty; too rainy; too snowy; too polluted; or too nutrient poor. Clouds may block the sunlight plants need for photosynthesis (making sunlight into food), reducing productivity.
- Proteins- the plant or animal tissue rich in such molecules, considered as a food source supplying essential amino acids to the body.
- “brackish.” Collins English Dictionary – Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition. HarperCollins Publishers. 05 Jul. 2013. <Dictionary.comhttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/brackish>.
- “carbohydrates.” Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 19 Jun. 2013. <Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/carbohydrates>.
- “carbon neutral.” Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 19 Jun. 2013. <Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/carbon neutral>.
- “carbon sink.” Collins English Dictionary – Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition. HarperCollins Publishers. 19 Jun. 2013. <Dictionary.comhttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/carbon sink>.
- “Eutrophication.” Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 19 June 2013.
- “LipidAbout Our Definitions: All Forms of a Word (noun, Verb, Etc.) Are Now Displayed on One Page.” Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 12 June 2013.
- “Medium.” Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 12 June 2013.
- “metabolite.” Collins English Dictionary – Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition. HarperCollins Publishers. 19 Jun. 2013. <Dictionary.comhttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/metabolite>.
- “proteins.” Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 19 Jun. 2013. <Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proteins>.